When Employers Refuse To Honor Family And Medical Leave Act Requests

The Family and Medical Leave Act, or FMLA, became law in 1993. It obligates covered employers to allow unpaid leave for a variety of family and medical leave situations, including the birth of a child, caring for a sick family member and the employee's own health issues.

To be protected under the FMLA, an employee must have been employed for at least 12 months by the same employer and worked at least 1,250 hours during that time. The employer must also employ 50 or more employees.

Under the FMLA, employees may receive up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per calendar year to care for themselves or certain family members facing serious health problems, or to care for their own newborn or newly adopted child. When the employee returns to work, the employer must provide the employee with the same or a similar position.

Some employers drag their feet on allowing medical leave. They may request proof that you or your family member really has a serious health issue. They may balk at paying for your health insurance while you are on leave — they are not allowed to do this. They may harass you or discriminate against you because you took advantage of the law. They may refuse to reinstate you when you return to the job.

Representing Workers In FMLA Claims

When any of these things happens, our Family and Medical Leave Act attorneys are ready to stand by you and file a claim for rightful compensation.

The FMLA is not a simple set of regulations. An employer with a capable lawyer can easily brush aside most claims by individuals. Individuals backed by their own lawyers, with as deep an understanding of the law's complexities, have a much better chance of success.

If you are in a dispute with an employer about your FMLA rights, arm yourself with a capable and experienced firm like Doda McGeeney of Rochester, Minnesota. You will find us professional, but approachable. Better yet, you will find us fiercely assertive of your rights and interests.

Give Doda McGeeney a call at 507-218-2399 — or briefly outline your situation using this email form.